A fifth of millennials would rather the U.S. government see what’s on their phone than their significant other

April 18, 2017 — by Radware23

main

Security

April 18, 2017 — by Radware23

Breaches of personal data have big consequences. Ask any user of Ashley Madison. Ask executives at Sony. Ask Hillary Clinton’s campaign. And, as we learned from the recent Wikileaks dump, all those private messages you’re sending may not be so private.

So, if you had to choose, who would you rather have view what is on your phone? The government? Or your significant other?

Radware commissioned a survey, conducted online by Harris Poll in March, which posed that question to more than 2,200 Americans ages 18 and older. If you said significant other, you fall in line with the majority – overall, 89 percent said they’d rather have their spouse, girlfriend, or boyfriend see what they have on their phone than the government.

Whether it’s a hacker dumping your emails or hacking your photos, or the government listening in, privacy is never guaranteed. Even though there are people we want to see our data and those we don’t.

The big surprise? Certain generations are more amenable to government snooping than others. Among millennials (ages 18-34), 20 percent would rather the government see the contents of their phone than their significant other compared to only 8 percent of adults ages 35 and older.

And while overall the same proportion of men and women favor significant others (89 percent for both) to the government (11 percent for both), millennials again stand out. Some 22 percent of men ages 18-34 would rather the government see what’s on their phone. Among women 18-34, the number is 18 percent. Millennial men and women are both more than twice as likely as their older counterparts to choose the government (8 percent each for men and women ages 35 and older).

[You might also like: Is the Internet Rolling Back our Freedoms?]

Do more younger Americans have something to hide from their significant others? Or have they simply abandoned the idea of privacy after growing up in a world where so much of their personal information is accessible and shareable with anyone in the world? Not to mention that everything from passwords to credit card   information to medical records routinely end up for sale on the Darknet.

Whatever the reason, it’s clear that the overwhelming majority would rather share their digital lives with those they’re close to. But it will be interesting to see how the numbers shift and attitudes change as hackers and governments redefine our notions of privacy.

It underscores the need to better protect our right to privacy, in law, as part of the Constitution, and strengthen the defenses we throw up to regain control over who can see our data.

Survey Methodology:
This survey was conducted online within the United States by Harris Poll on behalf of Radware from March 30 – April 3, 2017 among 2,224 U.S. adults ages 18 and older. This online survey is not based on a probability sample and therefore no estimate of theoretical sampling error can be calculated.

ert_2016-17_cover-2

Read the 2016–2017 Global Application & Network Security Report by Radware’s Emergency Response Team.

Download Now

Radware

23 comments

• Inline

June 26, 2017 at 4:24 pm

What difference does it make. They both snoop!

• Anne Scarbrough

July 17, 2017 at 6:58 pm

It became increasingly difficult for me to estimate who sees my medical records, for example, given all the huge medical data bases out there that insurance companies (Auto, Medical and Life) use to buy, sell or share our medical info with, not to mention all the releases of liability and fine print about devulging our medical info to related “interested third parties” that we have to sign prior to seeing and being treated by a physician.
    Did anyone know when you swipe the Customer Service Discount card at the pharmacy, that even they compile your Rx history and pass that along to insurance data bases, State and Federal agencies (Health and Human Services, DEA, FDA).
    And yet there is so much bullshit about “Privacy Regulations
    ” that agencies like HIPPA use to assure us medial privacy but yet contain a myriad of disclaimers of who they do share with that we have to sign prior to treatment.
    Any entity that you DON’T WANT to see your mail or medical records are the VERY SAME ONES that can obtain a Supoena to get them!
    PRIVACY? I think not. I just assume my info is out there for anyone to see and stop worrying. What’s the point?

• Michel lark

August 29, 2017 at 2:50 pm

HIPPA is not an agency, it is an acronym and is more specifically a law r/t medical privacy. Not sure what discount card you are referring to but maybe you should be careful about what you sign up for. Medical records are only available on need to know basis, insurance Co. Needs to know to pay your bills. Pharmacy needs to know all of the meds you take so you don’t have a reaction or overdose. Drs need to know what medical problems you have to effectively treat you. Your next door neighbor on the other hand does not have access to your records, because he has no need to know.

• Donna Gsle

September 13, 2017 at 4:07 pm

All this data does not have to be available electronically. Doctors can keep hand written records in their office regarding medicines so they will not prescribe conflicting medicines. That way, only a doctor, nurse and/or a receptionist will see the records —
        PROOF!!– Medical records before a certain date are only accessible by a doctor because doctors used to make disparaging remarks about some of their patients after a visit,

• Carol

November 10, 2017 at 10:59 pm

They just took a doctor’s licence away for doing not being computerized. Evil twin Google the wolf and the Raven. One party has too much power right now they can do what they want. Get it passed the next administration revokes it. They knew better than to pull this crap on WWII generation. They knew how govt works and had outcry. Hippo generation sold out millennials don’t care. Taught to be conformists. Sign up for GB and consent they can use your smartphone. Why you have to identify? Excuse terrorism. Answer? Be outraged don’t cooperate be fearless. Who is up for it? Oh. No one?

• Pat

September 7, 2017 at 6:11 pm

Sadly I agree that pretending we have our privates is a joke. One way or another someone out there is, has or will use my personal info for whatever they want and how in the world will I ever be able to stop them? It could be anyone at anytime using my info. That really SUCKS, but how to stop it? I can’t and neither can anyone else.

• Barbara smith

October 31, 2017 at 8:25 pm

I agree we can’t stop it. I get weekly calls from companies trying to get me to get back brases or diabetic supplies who I have never had previous contact with makes me wonder why I have to waste time signing a privacy letter when people know why I went to the doctor

• Nancy A. Shaw

October 24, 2017 at 1:58 pm

The point is that no one wants to worry about their privacy, or “fight” to preserve it. So surrender to the “system”. You have no one to blame then except yourself!

• Nikki

October 28, 2017 at 3:58 pm

You are absolutely right,why worry about a password and all that other bs when hackers can access the FBI,eqifacts,banks,credit cards and ect.if you are worried about your information being compromised nine times out of ten,it already is. This blog is an example,why do I have to enter my email to post a reply and if you think the drt.have time for u as a individual patient u are wrong,at the pharmacy are lucky to some one who knows what they are doing.this happened at Walgreens,walmart the same day.

• Lori Bartlett

November 2, 2017 at 5:25 pm

Same here. Privacy is a joke, there is none. If it isn’t isn’t shared among all and sundry, the Govt has it and if they don’t the jackets will. Never share with ANYONE ANYTHING you don’t care to have publicized… even medical information to your Dr. Sad.

• Toni

August 6, 2017 at 4:01 pm

Big brother crap. No, it does matter. I would vote to seriously curtail this spying and selling of our personal lives and to delete data after 1 year. Who’s with me??

• Johnny Guido

August 16, 2017 at 1:32 pm

An excellent idea for a future legislative action!

• Carlese Pratt

August 20, 2017 at 1:46 pm

I am. And truly, I have nothing to hide. I do know some people that might want to hide things.

• David boisson

August 29, 2017 at 3:24 pm

It is not a matter of if you care who sees your information. A free people have a right to expect privacy from the government.
        That is the reason the people cant read Trumps tax info. That is hidden from all that can be hurt by what he is hiding. As a veteran with whom has put my life on the line for those “freedoms” would still rather that privacy is still respected. Even he is being court ordered to release his info to the government that promised him “privacy”. I will let you figure it out.

• Judy Hogsett

October 1, 2017 at 6:45 pm

I would be all for that but you know it is not going to ever happen. My phone is tapped right now by law enforcement and I have no clue as to why guess I’ll just have to wait and see. But it’s not right that you can’t have any privacy anymore not even when it’s person to person in sure there’s some camera around some place seeing you. What is this world coming too. I feel sorry for our grandkids.

• Trudy Wimberly

October 19, 2017 at 4:10 pm

I agree.

• Norman Hall

October 30, 2017 at 8:48 pm

I am with you, so where do we start. We will have to get a group of leaders, define a statement of intent, raise capital and set up a budget . All this just to get started. You are correct, our personal affairs should be just that…Personal!! I am just throwing fuel on the fire but it may, just may be easier to set a time limit and after that all records are destroyed. I am curious as to what others think.

• Da man

August 19, 2017 at 2:56 pm

Big brother ? More like the evil twin! !

• Michel lark

August 29, 2017 at 2:51 pm

Evil twin? Makes no sense.

• Leslie Alexander

October 5, 2017 at 2:21 pm

Your headline contradicts the article. Proofread.

• Todd

October 8, 2017 at 10:52 pm

Well the government doesn’t care that you’re texting Carol. Your wife on the other hand….

• Hue 1968

October 29, 2017 at 7:56 pm

If you live in Virginia, the Virginia Department of Elections in Richmond sells your voter information – name, address, birthdate, voter number, when you last voted, etc. – to imcubents, candidates, the Democratic
    & Republician Parties, PACs, and other organizations. There is mothing you can do about it. They don’t say if the buyers protect your info. Virginians are at their mercy.

• Robert

November 14, 2017 at 10:31 pm

Well now so many up in arms about privacy. People choose to use the internet, smartphone, comp, etc.ive delt in intell ,psyops,etc for most of my adult life. I can assure all. Dont bothet its far to late. I suggest taking a different path. Read a book.